Back to School in Jamaica: A Time of Excitement, Anticipation & Tradition
Back to school in Jamaica is a time of excitement, anticipation, and a little bit of dread for many children. It's a time to see old friends, make new ones, and start a new chapter in their educational journey.
In Jamaica, the school year typically begins in September and ends in June. The school day usually begins at 8:00 in the morning and lasts until 2:00 pm or 2:30 pm in the afternoon, some areas are different with the time.Some schools may have extra lessons for students who wish to improve on their studies.
The children at Jamaican schools wear a uniform. The uniform for girls typically consists of a white blouse, a plaid skirt, and a pair of black shoes. The uniform for boys typically consists of a white shirt, khaki pants, and a pair of black shoes.
Back to school in Jamaica is also a time for traditions. Many families have their own special way of celebrating the start of the school year. Some families go out to eat, while others have a barbecue or picnic. Some families even have a "washout," which is a tradition where children are given a laxative to cleanse their bodies of the harmful sugary chemicals they may have consumed over the summer.
No matter how each family celebrates, back to school in Jamaica is a time of new beginnings and a time to look forward to the future.
Here are some of the specific back to school traditions in Jamaica:
- Buying school supplies: This is a big event for many families, as they stock up on notebooks, pens, pencils, and other supplies.
- Making uniforms: Many families sew or buy their children's uniforms, which are a source of pride for both the children and their parents.
- Getting haircuts: A new haircut is a popular way to start the school year off fresh.
- Going to church: Many families attend church on the first Sunday of the school year to pray for their children's success.
- Having a party: Some families throw a party to celebrate the start of the school year. This is a chance for the children to see their friends and make new ones.
Back to school in Jamaica is a time of excitement and anticipation for many children. It's a time to start a new chapter in their educational journey and make memories that will last a lifetime.